Sport, The Latest | |

A look at all last weekends action in the All-Ireland Senior Hurling Championship

A round-up of all the twists and turns in last weekend’s All-Ireland Senior Hurling Championship!

Weekly Round-Up

During the Provincial Championship last weekend there was no shortage of drama, twists and turns as the next round of the Leinster and Munster Senior Hurling Championship got underway.

As we enter our second year of sponsorship, we will be bringing you all the #StyleOfPlay and key moments from the All-Ireland Senior Hurling Championship each weekend.

So if you missed any of the action from the weekend, we have a round-up for you right here!

Leinster Senior Hurling Championship

Galway 1-23 Wexford 0-17

Galway booked their place in their fourth consecutive Leinster Final after a strong win over Wexford on Saturday evening.

Man of the match Joe Canning helped lead the Tribesmen to their victory by hitting an impressive 12 points. Although he didn’t finish the game after being taken due to injury, Canning was impressive throughout, showing his superb style of play.

It was a full house in Innovate Wexford Park and Galway got proceedings underway from the start. An opening point was then followed by a goal from Conor Whelan and the tone of the match was subsequently decided from there.

Galway proved too strong for the Yellow Bellies. Their defensive structure was extremely impressive and though Wexford had spirit throughout continuing to fight back, Galway kept denying them crucial possession.

The Tribesmen were reduced down to 14 men in the closing stages of the game as Aridan Tuohy was sent off for a foul on Harry Kehoe, but it didn’t seem to bother Galway as they finished the game strongly 1-23 to 17 points.

Dublin 2-24 Offaly 0-13

It was decided on Sunday that Offaly will play in the Joe McDonagh Cup next year having been regulated after losing out to Dublin.

The opening half of this game was even enough, at one point Dublin led by 2 points 0-7 to 0-5. With a series of points for the Dubs and a goal before halftime, the game began to turn in Dublin’s favour. At the halftime, the Blues were 1-10 to 0-5 ahead.

In the second half, Dublin took control and maintained it. A second goal was the final nail on the coffin for Offaly, which was followed by another quick four points for Dublin. At this point, the game was well and truly up. The final scoreline finished 2-24 to 0-13.

Next for Dublin are the All-Ireland Champions, Galway. You can be sure that Pat Gilroy will want his young team to give a good contest to the Tribesmen.

Munster Senior Hurling Championship

Cork 1-25 Limerick 0-28

The Munster Senior Hurling Championship keeps on giving this summer and this game was no exception. An epic battle between these two sides took place in Páirc Uí Chaoimh on Saturday evening, that ultimately ended in a draw but was pulse racing throughout.

Limerick were reduced down to 14 men in the first half as one of their key players Aaron Gillane saw a red card for his foul on Cork’s corner-back Seán O’Donoghue.

The first half had a total of 26 points scored as this game raced back and fouth. These two teams played neck and neck, every time one scored, the other would answer with another score.

Tom Morrissey whacked a superb point just before halftime to keep Limerick behind by one and come the referee’s whistle, the Rebels headed into the tunnel ahead by 2.

Patrick Horgan throttled a goal in past the Limerick keeper Nickie Quaid, giving Cork a now three-point advantage. But Limerick showed great spirit and refused to be diminished.

As the injury time clock ticked, Cork were ahead by one and it looked like they had done enough, though Limerick had other ideas. With seconds left, Kyle Hayes hit the equaliser over the bar for the match to be drawn.

Tipperary 2-22 Waterford 2-22

Controversy dwelled on the Gaelic Grounds in Limerick on Sunday as Tipperary resurrected again for the second week in a row to call a draw with Waterford and keep their Championship dreams alive.

The opening half of this game was completely controlled and dominated by a strong Waterford side. The Déise were missing nine players that started in the All-Ireland Final last year, many were ruled out to numerous injuries. So the odds weren’t in their favour as they entered this match.

However, they had the complete upper hand on Tipperary and with 16 minutes remaining in the game, they led by 2-20 to 0-15, with goals coming from Pauric Mahony and Tom Devine. At this point, the pendulum began to turn in Tipperary’s favour.

‘Bonner’ Maher saw the back of the Waterford net, to give Tipperary the goal that they desperately needed.

When Jason Forde’s free dropped short, Austin Gleeson was there to catch it. In a matter of seconds, Gleeson fumbled with the ball and ran from the goal line. One umpire awarded the goal and after consultation with the umpires, referee Alan Kelly maintained the goal despite vigorous protesting from the Waterford players.

A 12th free for Forde was enough for this game to be dramatically called a draw.

You can check out all the upcoming fixtures and results from all matches right here!

Littlewoods Ireland are proud sponsors of the All Ireland Senior Hurling Championship. Keep yourself up to date with all the#StyleOfPlay action right here!

Ellen McConville

Typically found on the sidelines or in Croke Park, Ellen is the Sports Content Editor for Littlewoods Ireland and your go-to gal for all things GAA. A big lover of all things Christy Moore, fashion and some wine and cheese as well.

No Comments Yet

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.