How long do we spend every morning staring into the wardrobe, waiting for something fabulous to pop out at us? Or speeding through our wardrobe frantically looking for the perfect piece? Choosing the right outfit for work, for the gym, for going out, for special occasions, even the right comfortable piece to lounge around in. All of this can add up to a whole lot of time. Imagine how easy it would be if the perfect outfit was right at our hands each time? Enter the idea of the capsule wardrobe. The less is more approach, but with pieces that you just love to wear. Around 30-50 pieces, including the shoes – yes, including shoes! It may seem impossible at first, but it will be worth it in the end!
Once you’ve cleared your wardrobe or anything that hasn’t been worn or loved, that’s the basics done. You can check out tips on how to have the ultimate wardrobe clearout.
What’s the Idea Behind a Capsule Wardrobe?
A capsule wardrobe is all about super versatile pieces that you just love to wear, and can be worn again and again. Ask yourself: ‘Would I wear this right now and feel good in it? Can I build a versatile outfit around it?’. If you answered yes to both of these questions, then keep that piece!
If you’re not ready for the full capsule wardrobe approach, store away your other pieces for three months. Chances are, you’ll have forgotten all about these items in three months and you won’t feel the love for them anymore.
Invest in your basic wardrobe and create a good base. Go for timeless pieces, not trendy! Shop for your own style and shape, you want the piece and outfits that fit both you and your lifestyle perfectly.
There are plenty advantages to a capsule wardrobe. Here are five in particular that are great reasons to kick-start your capsule wardrobe.
- You’re not blinded by a mountain of clothes. Fewer pieces mean less time rooting through your clothes each morning. Easily seek out what you’re looking for and your go-to outfits will be right in front of you.
- You have a wardrobe full of pieces you LOVE – need we say more?
- Achieve a better sense of what your actual style is and build around that.
- More storage space. Less clutter and more of what matters!
- More money. A capsule wardrobe will stop you from impulse buying and buying unnecessary items. That means more money in the long run and no more unworn items that were bought ‘because there was 15% off’.
There are a few things to remember when it comes to creating a capsule wardrobe. Keep the following in mind and you’ll be well on your way to achieving an ideal capsule wardrobe.
Make a plan and shop for the missing pieces only!
Follow the rule of “one piece in, one piece out“.
No impulse buying.
Go for quality over quantity.
Aim for 50 pieces or less.
If you’ve been considering a capsule wardrobe, go for it!